Friday, October 30, 2009

Picking Coffee

So I will never complain about an expensive cup of coffee again, nor should you. This last Wednesday I went out with my father and sister to pick coffee. I fell into some holes, hit myself with numerous branches, and ended up with an ankle full of gnat bites. All for a total of 250 colones (about 50 cents) worth of coffee. This was about 7lbs of raw coffee. I was out there for only an hour and a half, but I think as a regular coffee drinker and as someone who has worked in various coffee shops its important to know what exactly goes into that delicious latte or mocha that you are drinking or serving. Coffee season goes from late October until December. I'm not sure if I'll be going back out into the field, but I'll sure apperciate my cafecitos in the tarde a whole lot more.

In other news, I'm on the HIV/AIDS safer sex practices committee (we're shortening it to the safe sex committee). December 1st is World AIDS day, and I am going to be making 500ish red ribbons for the volunteers to wear and hand out in their communities. I'm also going to be working on more talleres for the PCVs at AVC (All Volunteer Conference) and for school presentations. Wish me suerte!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Where does the coffee you are picking go? Is for your family? Do they sell it? Tell me more.... Oh, and, sorry about the hole, your ankle and the various branches....

It sounds like you have some great projects going on! I'm so glad I get to keep up with what you are doing.

Liz Mahn said...

It all goes to the coop which gets packaged and sold in country.... i think trying to get them into the speciality coffee market would be good but i´m told its more difficult then hope it seems.