Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Quick Post on my Site Visit

I just wanted to write a quick post about my site visit. It was to a little town called Portolon, a little south of Quepos. My volunteer I visited was Bethany. She was amazing and it was scary how similar we were in interests and aspirations. She works heavily with the women´s groups in her area and is pretty much doing everything in her site and with the peace corps that I want to do. So she was the best help in the world. Portolon was amazing, and I didn´t want to leave. Also I surfed.... well kinda. I only got up on my knees but I think with a little more practice I could get good. I also visited a waterfall thats about a 30 minute hike from their house. I impressed all the boys by jumping off the highest ledge. It was a really great town and made me super excited for my real service.

On a more general note, food is about the same. A lot of beans and rice, so it could work on a vegan diet Leila, but I don´t think you´d lose much weight since they load you up on carbs. I´m supèr red from the sun and the beach and the walking, but know I´ll have a pretty golden tan soon. Life is about the same besides the site visit, although the big work is starting to pile up and I know I have to get moving on that. I finally have a full weekend to relax, so I will be catching up on lack of sleep and trying to compile a group for English classes, but I have to go. Again if you have questions post them in the comments.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how about posting some pictures - would love to see you jumping off a cliff!

Liz Mahn said...

they´re coming... I thought I´d wait until I had more... but I might just post them next time i´m at one of these things